Thursday 21 June 2012

In my Pedlars-fuelled dreams...


I don’t know about you but I have these alternative fantasy lifestyles that play out inside my head.  And one pokes its nose out every time the Pedlars catalogue lands on my mat.

I browse through it and off I go again.  In this particular fantasy I am the kind of woman who goes off camping in wild beautiful places.  I have a VW camper or a large Landrover (can’t quite decide) with tent, canoe, guitar, surf boards in the back and we just drive around in a relaxed manner (windows down, music pouring out) and find somewhere lovely (not some scuzzy campsite of course) with nobody else around and pitch the tent and light a fire and lie down and catch the rays and watch the stars. 

How cool is that?
Okay, so I can’t surf but hey… In my head I can, right?  Just like I can swim like a mermaid and play slide guitar like Ry Cooder.  But, actually, you may be surprised to learn that I do have some outdoor skills.  I lay a mean fire. I can construct an emergency shelter. And…er…that’s about it.  Mind you, let's be really honest here, in my fantasy I am also twenty years younger, have pert tits and the kind of skin that tans to a soft glow (rather than trying to make up its mind whether to burn or go in for extreme freckling). 

Anyhow. I love Pedlars.  And no, they aren’t paying me. In fact they have no idea I’m writing this post.  I love them cos they are a small (well, not so very small now) company who have high standards, great principles, a fabulous sense of design and a brilliant sense of humour. I used to buy quite a bit from them back in the day (when I wasn’t broke) and their service was (and I suspect still is) just awesome.  Truly, if you want to go into business, you could do far worse than use them as your template.  

And yes, I'm plugging them because...
a) I figure a lot of you lot will love their stuff.
b) I feel ethical authentic businesses should get a shout-out from time to time.
c) Their catalogue says 'Everything's going to be alright' at the bottom of every other page.
d) They have a Dog of the Week page and app. 
e) Occasionally they have wildly brilliant little practical products like the Corkcicle (keeps white wine cool without having to dunk it in a river) and the Bheestie Bag (which allegedly dries out mobiles, iPods etc that have been dropped in water). Seriously. 

Yes, some of their stuff is expensive but that’s cos they are picky and for some bits of kit (like tents and so on), they hunt out the best.  I just love that they can make me yearn for things like a Swedish firesteel (developed by the Swedish Defence Department), a hurricane lamp and an axe.  Of course, in this alternative life of mine, I also live in a cool warehouse apartment kitted out with their posters, lights, plates and so on. 

And there is music, always music. I have lost track (ho ho) of the number of brilliant artists I’ve discovered through their music club.  To give you an idea, their current playlist includes Nick Drake, Pink Floyd, Air, Fleet Foxes, Nicholas Jaar, Beach House and Lanterns on the Lake. They mix up the old with the very new.  I don’t always agree but I always check out their recommendations cos sometimes they suggest real gems. 

So, if you don't already know them, check 'em out and say 'hi' from me.  

And now, on this wet soggy morning, let me leave you with a few of my favourites from their 'songs for a sultry summer's evening'… Sympathetic magic, huh?  





And this one isn’t on their playlist…but I figure it should be. My favourite camp-fire song…  Now if I could only play guitar like that…


6 comments:

Tattieweasle said...

Just love pedlars too...but didn't know they did a dog of th week. Perhaps this may help in my quest to get the Wickedest Whippeta new mate!

Anonymous said...

I loved Peddlars but stopped using them when they stopped doing clothes, we lived in their trousers (especially the multicoloured ones) and night shirts and my favourite skirt is on its last legs and my husbands favourite shirt has months left to go. Perhaps time to go and have another look, just wish they still made clothes :)

Exmoorjane said...

@Tattie - Asbo? *hopeful look*

@SBP - I'd forgotten the clothes.. hell yeah, those multi-fabric ones (with lots of tartan?). I always fancied those. But...who knows...maybe they'll take the hint. :)

Nicola Vincent-Abnett said...

Lovely things!

I'm a bit of a fan of these people, too: http://www.manufactum.co.uk/

Carolyn Wort said...

I loved their clothes too - such a shame they stopped but then Johnie Boden did copy their ideas such as hotch potch etc. I have 2 of their skirts still and one pair of shorts. My children lived in the night shirts, I yearn for more!

F said...

I am alternately exhilarated and terrified by outdoor adventures. We actually possess a Swedish FireSteel.